Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Preparing to insulate the hull

10  cheap roll mats
As a part of the restoration of Obelix I would like to beef up the insulation of the hull. Originally there
was only 3 mm of foam glued to the inside of the hull. If I need to I would like to be able to spend a winter living in reasonable comfort onboard Obelix. After goggling for a while I came across S/Y Blue-bird and Jakob. Jakob spent a winter living on his Ballad in Copenhagen. I had the opportunity to visit Jakob and Blue-bird last month. He told me that he used 12 mm cheap roll mats and 3 mm GL foam backed vinyl on top.

I've chosen to do exactly as Jakob described. I went to the same chain of stores where he bought his roller mats and purchased 10 mats. Two days later I came across a good deal (120 DKK / meter) on some white 3 mm GL foam backed vinyl and ordered 10 meters.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for the weather to get wormer. In the mean time I'm still not done varnishing all the trim pieces. Luckily I'm getting closer most of the pieces only need the last coat (satin varnish).

No comments:

Post a Comment