Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My first fiberglass repair

As mentioned in an earlier post the small starboard bulkhead became came loose and I was able to remove it without using much force. 

Today and tomorrow the weather forecast promises temperatures between 5 C and 10 C. I decided to take advantage and do a bit of fiberglass work. The loose starboard bulkhead was on the top of my to do list. I wrapped the bulkhead in thick plastic as I intent to bolt the bulkhead in place (just like the port side bulkhead).

I used West System 105 in combination with thier 205 fast hardener. The 205 hardener will cure in temperatures above 40F / 5C (http://www.westsystem.com/ss/hardener-selection-guide). 

In hindsight I should have cut the strips of glass a little wider. I'm planning to let it cure fully, sand the surface and add some more layers.

2 comments:

  1. It is rough to have the weather dictate your repair times. It's impressive that you were able to repair this, even if the strips should have been a bit wider. If something is time sensitive I would use an industrial repair service. Also if it was a boat like this, because I'd be afraid of messing it up, but that's just me. http://www.ejfiberglass.com/Services/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shop No 2 AM R 1/54, Murad Khan Road Corner Muslehudin Garden, Jodia Bazar, Karachi
    Muhammadahmedraza864@gmail.com

    The FIBERGLASS was shaped with the primary target of assembling different sorts of Fiberglass Items.

    Throughout the years the organization generation offices ought to be extended to two noteworthy offices.

    Custom Constructed Items for modern, business and private prerequisites.

    www.fiberglasshade.com
    sun shade, car parking shade, fiberglass shade,
    Tent please contact via online karachi, pakistan online order website http://www.fiberglasshade.com

    ReplyDelete