Monday, October 21, 2013

Alignmet of holes in bulkheads and hull

Clearly the holes aren't aligned. Panic ensued. 
I wanted to put the bulkheads back in order to do a proper test-fit. Should be an easy job, right? Not quite.

The bulkheads did still fit put all the holes were misaligned by 1 or 2 cm. I spent the better part of an hour searching the web, posting on The Ballad Exchange (post) and finally calling a friend in the local yacht club. Luckily the later quickly calmed me down. Apparently it is not uncommon for glasfiber boats to sag a bit when removing bulkheads. The cure; a car jack and a steady hand (nerves).





The only carjack i had available was the one that came with my car (a Skoda, practically a Volkswagen nowadays). While it is a reliable and economical car the included jack is far from usable. I am now the proud owner of a really (altho small) carjack.

My new best friend!
My neighbor popped by and was kind enough to help insert the bolts while I held the jack in place. In no time all the bolts were in place and my blood pressure went down to a reasonable level. All in all a terrifying but interesting day.

All bolts are back in - yay!





No comments:

Post a Comment